cute stopmotion video that just makes you wanna get baking! via swiss miss.
Archive for the ‘food and deliciousness’ Category
i got myself a beautiful new book of cake recipes from an nyc bakery specialising in gluten-free and vegan baking. based in the lower east side, babycakes has been voted one of new york’s best cupcakes and has some pretty famous vegan and food-intolerant fans: zooey deschanel, natalie portman, pamela anderson, jason schwartzman…
once i get over the initial hurdle of sourcing some pretty far-out ingredients (what in the what is xanthan gum!?!), i’m pretty excited about trying out the corn bread, blueberry crumb cake and, of course, their famous frosting (which according to the book they sell unaccompanied inside tiny paper cups because customers love it so much – ew).
and i wonder if i’ll get better results if i do my hair real cute and bake to rock’n'roll tunes?
• japanese food. literally can’t get enough, especially after reading it will stop raining*.
• the new edition of french elle featuring alexa chung.
• french/moroccan interiors in the last issue of lonny magazine.
• the karen walker fall 2010 ready-to-wear collection
• jamie oliver’s ted prize wish.
last night i made orange and poppyseed cake. just thought you should know.
• the new vanessa bruno spring collection, via bliss.
• the home of illustrator kat heyes, as seen on daydream lily.
• mmmm, donuts.
saturday was a boozy barbeque with the extended family at wategos beach, byron bay. by far the standout was my sister’s rendition of donna hay’s semifreddo, scooped into waffle cones and devoured under the hot afternoon sun.
* 3 eggs
* 2 egg yolks, extra
* 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
* 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
* 1¾ cups (435ml) pouring cream
* choice of toppings: sis did one batch using 400g frozen raspberries, another with a large block of roughly chopped dark chocolate
1. place the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar in a large heatproof bowl. place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk the mixture with a hand-held beater for 4−5 minutes or until heated, thick and pale.
2. remove from the heat and continue whisking until cool. whisk the cream until soft peaks form and gently fold into the egg mixture.
3. if using frozen raspberries, puree around 3/4 in a small food processor until smooth. take 2 cups of the custard cream mixture and fold through to combine.
4. stir through the raspberry puree mixture or 3/4 of the chopped chocolate (or both! imagine!) into the semifredoo mix and pour into a 3 litre-capacity dish.
5. sprinkle the unprocessed raspberries or the remaining chopped chocolate on top to decorate and freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.
kick things off with a breakfast of white beans on toast at a minor place in brunswick.
then shopping for vintage clothes and antiques in fitzroy, starting at industria on getrude st.
admire some wall graffiti by miso
tuck into some fine french wine with the tuna tartare with crushed green pea salad from cumulus on flinders lane.
finish off the day with tapas and drinks at movida next door.
and finally stumbling into a big, cushy bed at the brooklyn arts hotel.
* 4 cups of milk
* 1 cup of semolina
* lemon zest from one medium sized lemon, grated
* ½ cup of almonds, chopped
* ½ cup of sultanas
* 25 grams of butter
* ¼ cup honey
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 2 free range eggs
pre-heat oven to 180C and grease a 21cm springform tin.
separate the eggs, and beat egg yolks til just frothy. bring the milk to boiling point (can also use one cup water, three cups milk), on a low heat. whisk in semolina a little at a time to ensure there are no lumps. take off heat. to this warm mixture add the nuts, sultanas and lemon zest.
in a small pot melt the butter. take off the heat. add the honey, vanilla extract and egg yolks to the butter. mix well, and stir into the semolina mixture.
beat egg whites until stiff. fold into the semolina mixture. pour into springform tin and bake for an hour, or until firm.
serve with cream or mascarpone.
recipe via trotsky & ash.