saturday was a boozy barbeque with the extended family at wategos beach, byron bay. by far the standout was my sister’s rendition of donna hay’s semifreddo, scooped into waffle cones and devoured under the hot afternoon sun.
* 3 eggs
* 2 egg yolks, extra
* 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
* 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
* 1¾ cups (435ml) pouring cream
* choice of toppings: sis did one batch using 400g frozen raspberries, another with a large block of roughly chopped dark chocolate
1. place the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar in a large heatproof bowl. place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk the mixture with a hand-held beater for 4−5 minutes or until heated, thick and pale.
2. remove from the heat and continue whisking until cool. whisk the cream until soft peaks form and gently fold into the egg mixture.
3. if using frozen raspberries, puree around 3/4 in a small food processor until smooth. take 2 cups of the custard cream mixture and fold through to combine.
4. stir through the raspberry puree mixture or 3/4 of the chopped chocolate (or both! imagine!) into the semifredoo mix and pour into a 3 litre-capacity dish.
5. sprinkle the unprocessed raspberries or the remaining chopped chocolate on top to decorate and freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.